Sunday, July 28, 2013

NEW RECIPE: Triple Meat Asian Sausage

© Constantine William Spyrou

When I cook dinner, the typical breakdown goes like this: My mom (teacher and mentor in the culinary world) tells me she's going out for a bit and asks me to make dinner. She tells me what vegetables and meats we have in the fridge, and then leaves. I'm left to my own culinary devices for some time after that, and sometimes I just come up with some ridiculous ideas. I've done things like Greek Lemon Ground Beef, Asian Crispy Tofu, and other dishes that I can't name because I just put seasonings, sauces, spices, and proteins together to make something that hopefully tastes good. This time, I decided to write down exactly what I did so I could turn it into a recipe.

When my mom went out, she told me we had green beans, spinach, pork, and bison that I could potentially cook with. Hunting around, I also found green onion, cilantro, dried Chinese sausage, and some bell peppers. I felt like being in an Asian mood, so I decided to make Asian-flavored sausage patties using the pork, bison (because its lean and goes well with the pork as a result), and dried Chinese Sausage as the meats. Chinese sausage kind of tastes like a cross between jerky and bacon, and is really interesting. The combination of meats went together way better than I expected, and turned out to be really delicious. 

This sausage also has vegetables in it. Normally, you don't see vegetables in sausage unless they are ground up. However, I used a technique I discovered while in Holland swimming several years ago. The hamburger patties there had vegetables inside the burger, giving another level of flavor to the meat. I decided to apply this to the sausage patties, and it helped really bring more flavor out. I'm really proud of these sausage patties.

Recipe will serve up to 8 people.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground bison (beef works too, but try to keep it at no more than 10% fat)
4 ounces dried Chinese sausage, diced
1/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup diced bell peppers
1/4 cup chopped green beans
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons red chili oil (spicy sesame oil)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil (or roasted garlic olive oil to punch up the flavor)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons dried sage

Cooking/Assembling:

1. Mix all of the ingredients together except for the olive oil well into a mixing bowl. Go for uniform distribution of the veggies and meats together.
2. Form the sausage meat into 3-4 oz patties by hand. In a hot pan with olive oil on medium-high heat, sear the patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Set on a plate to rest, then serve with rice.


This sausage is really simple to make once you get all of the ingredients together, and tastes truly delicious. For added flavor, make this a few hours before cooking to allow all of the flavors to marry. The Asian flavors really get punched up thanks to the Chinese sausage, and the bison deepens the flavor of the meat as a whole.

I hope you enjoy this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change! If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment