Being able to cook in college sometimes means taking what you have in your fridge and doing what you can to transform it into something delicious. When I came up with this recipe, I had a lot of leftover dinner rolls, some cabbage, a couple of apples, and some chicken thighs. The result was a great spin on barbeque that had an incredible balance, from the savory yet spicy chicken to the cool, refreshing slaw and sharpness of the cheddar cheese. These sliders are great to make for parties or just as a meal! In the picture at the end of this recipe, they are served with a classic potato salad, but any side dish you prefer works great with it!
Recipe makes 12-15 sliders and serves up to 5 people.
For the Slaw:
4 cups shredded cabbage
1 apple, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons toasted fennel seeds
1/2 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 tablespoon English yellow mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Salt and pepper to season
For the Sliders:
2 pounds chicken thighs, cut into 3-4 ounce pieces
1 portion Texas Dry Rub
2 tablespoons habanero hot sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
12-15 dinner rolls, cut in half sandwich style
1/4 pound cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
1. Rub the chicken thighs down with the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, and honey. Mix into your dry rub, then let marinate for at least 3 hours.
2. As the chicken marinates, prepare your slaw by making the vinagrette first. Whisk together your olive oil, mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, and half of your lemon juice until well combined. Season to taste, then add to your cut apples and cabbage.
3. Add in the rest of your lemon juice, the toasted fennel, and a touch more seasoning to taste, then mix well and let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours to let the flavors come together.
4. Grill your chicken thigh pieces for about 2-3 minutes on each side, then let it rest. As the chicken rests, toast the bread on the same grill that the chicken was on to allow it to get some of the flavor.
5. Build your sliders by adding slaw to the bottom part of the roll. Place your chicken thigh piece on top, then finish with a thin slice of cheddar cheese and the top part of the roll. Serve with your favorite side dish!
The finished sliders. Delicious!
These sliders have a strong bold flavor from the chicken, but its balanced out by the sharp cheddar and cooling effect that the slaw has on the dish. Together, it makes a really delicious slider that you have to try!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and this entire BBQ Weekend Special! Let me know what you think and what you would change. As always, if you make any recipe at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =)