© Constantine William Spyrou
Summer is about to come to a close for me, and it's been a crazy wild one, doing all different kinds of things, working full-time, landing an internship, helping to run a Sea Cadet boot camp, etc. It was a lot of fun, though, and although I am looking forward to heading back to school, I am definitely going to miss the relaxation that summer provides. This drink is kind of a tribute to the summer, as it is very refreshing - just like summer has been with my mind - and packs a lot of punch with just a few ingredients. This is my take on a popular drink known as agua fresca, which is usually made with just fresh fruit and some herbs that combine together to create a great, fresh flavor. This particular one is extremely simple, with just watermelon, lime, and some fresh mint. It packs a lot of flavor, and is a great way to send off the summer.
Recipe will serve 4 people.
4 cups fresh watermelon, chopped (you don't need to remove the seeds, but can if you want).
Zest and juice of 1 lime
8 fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 cups crushed ice
2 cups water
Making the Drink:
1. Add the ice to the bottom of a blender, then place the watermelon on top of that.
2. Fully zest the lime into the blender. To get the maximum juice out of your lime, roll it on the counter first to help release the juices before you cut it in half and squeeze the juice into the blender.
3. Roll the mint up into a cigar-like bundle, chop into ribbons, and add into the blender.
4. Pour in the water, it should be enough to just cover the watermelon.
5. Blend on high until everything is combined and smooth. No large chunks should remain.
6. (Optional) If you want to strain the drink, feel free to do so. Some people like leaving it "dirty," however, which just means that the blended up seeds and leaves still remain in the drink.
7. (Adults only) Add a small shot of tequila to your glass before adding in the agua fresca to make a nice "margarita" of sorts.
This drink is extremely healthy since its literally made with just fruit, citrus, herbs, and water. No sugar, no cream, no yogurt, no nothing. It's simple, delicious, and great on a hot summer's day. No better way to send off the summer than with this great beverage!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =)