Saturday, May 31, 2014

NEW RECIPE: Texas Dry Rub (BBQ Weekend Special, Part 1)

© Constantine William Spyrou

In the summer, there's no better food to enjoy with friends and family than barbeque. There is so much versatility to this style of cooking that it can be seen almost anywhere - from Chinese barbequed roasted pork, to New Orleans barbequed shrimp, to one of my favorites- Smoked brisket. Barbeque is an ancient form of cooking that we have taken and transformed to amazing levels, especially in the United States. We even have regular barbeque competitions across the nation, where tender cuts of pulled pork, ribs, chicken, and other meats are judged! America takes it barbeque seriously, and so do I. 

For my barbeque, I love to use a mix of Texas and Carolina styles. While I love the vinegar-based marinades and sauces of the Carolinas, I also love the savory yet slightly sweet dry rub of Texas. I tend to use the dry rub along with some apple cider vinegar to create a fusion of the two styles when I marinate my meats. A lot of experimentation has led to me coming up with my own dry rub that I love to put on barbequed meat. I've used it at home as well as here in college to success! This is my own dry rub recipe for all of you to try out and play with to your tastes! 

Recipe will help season up to 2 pounds of meat.

Ingredients:

1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons dried thyme


I like using paprika as the base of my dry rub as well as turmeric to give it a unique reddish-orange color. The brown sugar helps to offset some of the heat in the dry rub and adds a sweetness that helps balance the savory components perfectly. Utilizing dried herbs and cinnamon might seem a little odd for a dry rub, but it helps make the rub slightly fragrant and give it a light toasted flavor that helps bring everything together.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment