I tried to make my own at home, and found it to be incredibly easy and quick! Done in under an hour, this tofu has some great flavors, and goes great in a simple, quick fried rice!
Recipe serves 3-4 people.
For the Baked Tofu:
1 package firm tofu, cut into cubes
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp mirin
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
For the Fried Rice:
2 cups Jasmine rice, cooked and cooled
2 eggs, scrambled
1 leek, finely chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 chili pepper, finely chopped (use a chili pepper suiting your spice tolerance/preference. I went for Shishito)
Green Onion to garnish
1) Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Sandwich the tofu cubes between multiple sheets of paper towels and a clean dishcloth. Cover with heavy cans and leave for 10 minutes.
3) Remove the pressed tofu, and toss in all of the marinade ingredients in a greased roasting dish. Bake for 45 minutes.
4) Let the tofu cool and remove it from the roasting dish. Saute the leeks in a frying pan on medium high heat with the sesame oil and five spice.
5) Toss in the baked tofu after 3-5 minutes, and season with half the soy sauce and chili pepper. Scramble in the eggs, then toss in the rice and add in the remaining soy sauce.
6) Plate, and garnish with green onion.
This is a great, quick, cheap, but flavorful fried rice! I've always been a fan of fried rices because of that speedy cook time and versatility, and this vegetarian version is definitely a winner!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =)