Thursday, June 23, 2016

NEW RECIPE: Gluten-Free Mexican Chocolate Pancakes

Breakfast is one of my favorite meals of the day. As a kid, I had dreams about what the perfect breakfast would be - Chicken Apple Sausage, Scrambled Eggs, and my mom's Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Oatmeal. We would always have it when friends had sleepovers, and we started making it for Christmas brunch later on. 

This breakfast gave me a love and appreciation for pancakes, and its something I've always had a fascination with. For me, pancakes are versatile in terms of savory and sweet dishes, and are a canvas for amazing flavors. Having seen many kinds of pancakes in my life, I've created my favorite version for breakfast. 

This takes some of my mom's chocolate chip pancakes and mixes it with one of my favorite drinks - Mexican Hot Chocolate. Using the spices from that drink in this pancake mix makes it utterly delicious. Acid, sugar, and salt are all used to make the pancake extremely tasty. I also went for a gluten-free pancake with one of my favorite flours - brown rice flour - so that my sister can eat it and it has a low glycemic index. This means that the pancakes take a while to break down in the body and their energy is released slowly, making it a great energizing breakfast for the day between the low glycemic index, caffeine from the chocolate, and a little heat from the spices. It's a great wake-up meal! 

Recipe makes 10-12 large pancakes.

Ingredients:

2 cups brown rice flour
4 eggs
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp ancho chile powder
2 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 bar of dark chocolate (at least 65%), chopped into chunks (or, 1 cup dark chocolate chips)
3 tbsp sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups whole milk and 1 tbsp lemon juice (or, 2 cups buttermilk)
2 tbsp melted butter (plus more, or olive oil, for frying)

Cooking/Assembling:

1) If making your own buttermilk, add the milk and lemon juice to a cup and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

2) Sift the flour into a bowl, Add in 2 tbsp sugar, the salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk well to combine.

3) In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, and sugar. Combine well.

4) While whisking, slowly add in the dry ingredients into the wet until you have a lump-free batter. Let sit in the fridge.

5) Add in the chunked chocolate and spices, and mix well.

6) Add 1 1/2 - 2 ice cream scoops of the batter (about 1/2 cup) into a frying pan on medium heat with a small pat of butter (or 2 tsp olive oil). Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side (when about halfway in is cooked and bubbles). Re-add the butter/olive oil between each pancake.



This stack of pancakes is just 4 high, and easily serves 4 (or 2 very hungry people). Nevertheless, it's got amazing flavor from the buttermilk and a bit of heat from the cayenne and ancho chile (but not burning). It's a great complete meal in a single, easy-to-make pancake!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment