Saturday, August 30, 2014

NEW RECIPE: Pork Roulade (Pork Four Ways, Part 1)

© Constantine William Spyrou

I'm very excited for this weekend because I get some extra time with my family and my older sister is home! To celebrate, we are having a barbecue this Monday, and I'm making the menu. Since I have four pork tenderloin pieces to work with, I wanted to do something unique with each that I think the whole family will enjoy! =)

This first recipe is a traditional pork roulade, which is a rolled and stuffed tenderloin. With sauteed vegetables and strong Italian flavors, it will be aromatic and delicious! =) 

Recipe will serve four people.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pound pork tenderloin, sliced into a single, flat, sheet about 1/4-1/2 inch thick
1 1/2 cups sauteed spinach
2 cloves minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, julienned and sauteed
1 tablespoon oregano
1 cup fresh basil leaves, whole
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to season

Cooking/Assembling:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Season the pork tenderloin well and brush with half of the olive oil. Layer all of the ingredients across the tenderloin in the following order: Basil leaves on the bottom, followed by the sauteed spinach and garlic, the sauteed bell peppers, the dried herbs, and some more seasoning with the rest of the olive oil.
3. Carefully roll up the tenderloin like a sushi roll, then tie up with butcher's string. Don't squeeze too tightly to ensure that the stuffing doesn't come out of the pork.
4. Place the roasting tray on the stove, and turn the heat on high. Add some extra olive oil to the pan, and sear the pork on all four sides. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
5. Untie the butcher's string, slice, and serve!

This dish is simple to prepare and make, and has a lot of great herbaciousness to cut into the density of the pork. With the sweetness of the peppers also contrasting the dense pork meat, this creates a well-balanced dish!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make it at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment