Monday, September 22, 2014

NEW RECIPE: Spiced Caramel Popcorn

© Constantine William Spyrou

It's a shame to wrap up this summer, because for me, it was one of the best summers of my life. I discovered a lot about this new field that I've begun studying - food science - and a branch within it known as culinology. I've worked with a great group of people who taught me a lot in this field, and I hope I can carry what they've taught me through the rest of my career in this industry. 

On one of my final days of my internship, I gave a presentation to my department and the company executives on my time spent there. As part of it, I made this snack to demonstrate my cooking ability as well as make something tasty. Thanks to some critique from one of the chefs, this recipe is a more updated version and works a lot better at bringing the levels of spice and flavor through the caramel. 

Recipe serves up to 12 people.

Ingredients:

1 stick butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 recently used vanilla bean (split open with most of the seeds removed)
1 thai chili, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 pod of star anise
1 bag popped popcorn

Cooking/Assembling:

1. Place the vanilla bean, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, star anise, and chili into the sugar. Mix, and let infuse for at least 12 hours.
2. Place the sugar into a large pot on medium heat. Let the sugar brown and DO NOT MIX it.
3. When about half of the radius of the sugar circle at the bottom of the pot is completely liquid, add the butter in small quantities. Stir to combine until the butter is all melted and the caramel is fully formed.
4. Add in the popped popcorn and stir well to combine. Pour onto a sheet tray, then leave to cool. Serve when cooled!



This popcorn has an interesting twist because of the heat and spice combination that gets balanced out by the sweetness and darkness of the rich caramel. Together with the popcorn, it forms a brittle that is crunchy, sweet, spicy, and tasty!

I hope you enjoyed this recipe! Let me know what you think and what you would change. If you make this at home, let me know how it turns out! Enjoy! =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment